Grab the attention with this practical handbag having the special detail of handmade textile art from Chiapas. Perfect for traveling or carrying all your essentials, and showing a summerly warm feel to your outfit.
Inspiration: colorful and floral textiles from the traditional clothes of the Nachig community in Chiapas.
Produced: by María, Rosa y Juana Estela in Nachig, Chiapas.
Material: nylon interior and exterior, vinyl straps, plastic zipper, handwoven in cotton.
Includes: bag with removable interior mini bag.
Bag measurements (LxHxW): 46x29x13 cm.
Product care: machine wash or spot clean, take out excess water then air dry.
Handmade with care in Mexico.
- About Maka México
- Our designer brands
Maka combines style and co-creation with communities in the town of Nachig, and Chibacá in the State of Chiapas, and the region of Chinantla in Oaxaca. They want to break paradigms to create new concepts that connect the old and new.
Usually women from indigenous communities are the only source of income for their families because men end up migrating to look for better opportunities. They make an income by working on the textile traditions that have been passed on by generations, and they go to local markets (traveling long distances) to sell their products. Because everyone in the market is selling the same or similar styles, the competition is very high and they end up lowering the prices of their hours-long detailed work. Which leads to choosing other types of work and leaving their traditions and heritage behind.
That is why Maka México's founders decided to develop a social business concept where they could integrate their traditional textiles embroidery into contemporary bag designs. Up until now, they work with 86 different indigenous communities from the states of Chiapas, Oaxaca and Campeche. They kept the way this communities work on their textiles without changing their way of life, working home and being able to take care of their children. This system has been able to increase their income by 300%.
Maka México wants to connect women from every walk of life. Women who every day strive to share their best with others. With each bag you buy, you will connect with hardworking Mexican women who are happy to share a piece of their culture.
We are honored to present to you Mexican designer brands that are giving a contemporary view of our handmade and ancient traditions. Each one of them has decided to take a piece of our daily traditions, have studied it, and then, with a design concept in mind, have taken it to the next level to present high-quality products with a modern view for you to be able to incorporate them into your daily life.
What makes us happy is to be able to share with you their vision in our Mexican culture, and allow you to take a piece of culture into your home.
Most of our designers work with artisans from specialized communities in the handcrafts they work on:
- They support small producers from specific communities and cooperatives.
- They incorporate the artisans into their creative process to co-create concepts that bring our ancient traditions to life. This helps the artisans to regain confidence in the work they do.
- They ensure artisans receive a fair payment for their work according to local wages.
- For textile communities, most of the artisans are women, and they are ensured equal treatment. And because if the flexibility of their handwork they can also work from home. Most of these artisans gather together to create co-operatives to work together and share experiences.
- A typical artisan working space: at home, in their cooperative, or at the "taller" (workshop) space they start the day taking care of their kids and family, then they find a comfortable space to start working on the textiles. The spaces are usually open which allows feeling the freeze and the natural sound of the animals that surround the environment.