One of a kind mini bowls. The unique glazing process combines different colors that meld and flow differently to create one-of-a-kind designs.
Inspiration: that moment when you crave a recipe, buy the ingredients, prepare it and then you share it. Having that in mind, Calixta developed ceramic plates with the perfect size to create a combination of ingredients for several people. A personal and intimate size that can integrate with other pieces.
Technique: the concept of these sets is the glaze layers and what happens when they merge. The platter has different glazes: matte black, glossy black, cobalt blue, glossy white, matte white, and transparent. The surprise happens when the cobalt blue and matte black merge, or between the matte black and white. A new line, a new color, and a new texture start to appear, and no other platter will have the same because they all have their unique surprise!
Note: because the technique gives a unique texture, the product style can change compared to the picture. And because it is handmade the shape can vary as well.
Produced: in the state of Nuevo Leon.
Size: diameter 10cm and height 7cm.
Product care: do not use in microwave or oven, hand wash with water and soap.
Handmade with care in Mexico
- About Calixta
- Our designer brands
Calixta believes that choosing where you place your food is part of the ritual of eating more delicious. Born in 2012 in the state of Nuevo León by designer Vange Tamez Vidales, Calixta represents everything that Vange likes: food, cooking, design, making with hands, and above all: a lifestyle that encompasses to continuously practice creativity and experimentation.
Vange studied to be an architect, she was interested in being an art curator, and she got professional experience in interior design. But when she started exploring the area of anthropology, she finally found it, ceramics!
That is how the Calixta project started exploring the different states and phases of the ceramic process. They work with it in an organic way incorporating the environmental and handwork factors that translate the production of a piece. That is why they call it artisan ceramic. They allow the pieces to transform considering the weather conditions, the hands, the material used, and the design concept. They like the beauty of the natural imperfections while maintaining the quality of their products.
They use their own glazes that allow for food safety and 100% manual techniques. In some pieces, they use slipcast and handbuilt techniques, and each piece is shaped and polished by hand.
We are honored to present to you Mexican designer brands that are giving a contemporary view of our handmade and ancient traditions. Each one of them has decided to take a piece of our daily traditions, have studied it, and then, with a design concept in mind, have taken it to the next level to present high-quality products with a modern view for you to be able to incorporate them into your daily life.
What makes us happy is to be able to share with you their vision in our Mexican culture, and allow you to take a piece of culture into your home.
Most of our designers work with artisans from specialized communities in the handcrafts they work on:
- They support small producers from specific communities and cooperatives.
- They incorporate the artisans into their creative process to co-create concepts that bring our ancient traditions to life. This helps the artisans to regain confidence in the work they do.
- They ensure artisans receive a fair payment for their work according to local wages.
- For textile communities, most of the artisans are women, and they are ensured equal treatment. And because if the flexibility of their handwork they can also work from home. Most of these artisans gather together to create co-operatives to work together and share experiences.
- A typical artisan working space: at home, in their cooperative, or at the "taller" (workshop) space they start the day taking care of their kids and family, then they find a comfortable space to start working on the textiles. The spaces are usually open which allows feeling the freeze and the natural sound of the animals that surround the environment.