One-of-a-kind handwoven dog collar for your best friend. Share the lively spirit of your pet friend with this original collar that will tell the other dogs who is the real good looking boss.
Inspired by: colors, patterns, and textiles from Mexican Tzotzil community in the state of Chiapas. When an artisan works on a collar, he/she creates new color combinations and patterns, each one of the pieces they handmake is freely chosen by their inspiration. This makes the process even more rewarding and that is why you won't find another one that looks the same.
Technique: handwoven pattern by hand, sewn in leather.
Produced in: textile in the state of Chiapas and leather in Guanajuato.
Material: vegetable-tanned leather strap, stainless steel buckle.
Size: 47 - 68cm.
Best fit for: St. Bernard, Black Russian Terrier, Bullmastin, Great Dane, Dogue de Bordeaux, Fila Brasileiro, Kuvasz, Irish wolfhound, Pyrenean Mastiff, Neapolitan Mastiff, Newfoundland dog, Bulldog.
Product care: hand wash in cold water. Water resistant.
Handmade with care in Mexico.
- About Makán
- Our designer brands
Makán was born with two big passions: artisan Mexican roots and animals. They work with communities from different parts of Mexico to create unique collar pieces for your dog. Each artisan is part of the design process and chooses the color and style on every piece they make. And each collar will vary in pattern and colors from the other, which makes a unique piece for your best friend.
Mariana, a young entrepreneur with a passion for Mexico, its culture, and its people, as well as a decisive athlete, decided to develop Makán. When she was involved in making handmade decorations for cellphone covers she got inspired to develop a product that could show the beauty of Mexican arts. And the best way was to put together Mexican artisan work with your pet friend's accessories.
Mariana works together with the artisans to develop the design idea of each of the collars. The artisan provides ideas that come from their indigenous heritage, and Mariana guides them to develop the color combinations and patterns. At the end only one type of collar is made, making it one of a kind.
We are honored to present to you Mexican designer brands that are giving a contemporary view of our handmade and ancient traditions. Each one of them has decided to take a piece of our daily traditions, have studied it, and then, with a design concept in mind, have taken it to the next level to present high-quality products with a modern view for you to be able to incorporate them into your daily life.
What makes us happy is to be able to share with you their vision in our Mexican culture, and allow you to take a piece of culture into your home.
Most of our designers work with artisans from specialized communities in the handcrafts they work on:
- They support small producers from specific communities and cooperatives.
- They incorporate the artisans into their creative process to co-create concepts that bring our ancient traditions to life. This helps the artisans to regain confidence in the work they do.
- They ensure artisans receive a fair payment for their work according to local wages.
- For textile communities, most of the artisans are women, and they are ensured equal treatment. And because if the flexibility of their handwork they can also work from home. Most of these artisans gather together to create co-operatives to work together and share experiences.
- A typical artisan working space: at home, in their cooperative, or at the "taller" (workshop) space they start the day taking care of their kids and family, then they find a comfortable space to start working on the textiles. The spaces are usually open which allows feeling the freeze and the natural sound of the animals that surround the environment.