Decorative pillow and cushion with simple textures, and hanging tassels to add a bit of fun. Great to combine with any cushions as a beautiful canvas for your own creation.
Inspiration: use of contemporary colors with weaving techniques from the Aldama community.
Technique: backstrap weaving (Telar de cintura).
Produced: in the Aldama community in the state of Chiapas.
Material: 100% cotton.
Size: 60x60 cm (Fillings of 65 x 65 cm fit as well).
Does not include: filling
Product care: hand wash in cold water, no bleach, dry in shade.
Handmade with care in Mexico.
- About Colorindio
- Our designer brands
Colorindio creates interwoven age-old stories with their textiles. They use millennial old traditions to promote the cultural diversity of Mexico. They restate these traditions to create thread by thread daily life pieces. To create unique pieces with history, they use techniques such as the back-strap weaving (Telar de cintura) and pedal weaving.
Colorindio is a company made up by two women, Pola and Libya, who in 2009 set out on a long journey through textile Mexico to conform a work team with the weavers of diverse communities and praise their work.
Their quest began when they got into the collective transport to discover and explore the tissues of Chiapas, "the endless land" as they call it. The next step was to live with the people and observe in detail how they worked the textile: the different ways to handle the loom, the colors, images and experiences that shape each design. A mixture of all this produces unique pieces with unique stories.
Between trips, a partnership was born that today produces more than ten kinds of household products, such as cushions, tablecloths, bedspreads, rugs, towels, blankets and table runners, made by artisans using backstrap looms or pedal looms. These pieces, thanks to Colorindio's artistic and aesthetic sense of orientation, have made way to the professionalization of this craft.
The working method of Colorindio is very open. It is based on respect for the autonomy of the Community trade. Each month just over 20 unique pieces of Mexican crafts are produced. The company is growing day by day: it began with two cooperatives and today manufactures products from fifteen regions.
The business philosophy of Colorindio lives the values of equity, balance and justice. The aim is to generate and maintain steady work with artisans, not just a business relationship, but of friendship and cooperation. Making long-term ties with these rural societies is what drives our company.
We are honored to present to you Mexican designer brands that are giving a contemporary view of our handmade and ancient traditions. Each one of them has decided to take a piece of our daily traditions, have studied it, and then, with a design concept in mind, have taken it to the next level to present high-quality products with a modern view for you to be able to incorporate them into your daily life.
What makes us happy is to be able to share with you their vision in our Mexican culture, and allow you to take a piece of culture into your home.
Most of our designers work with artisans from specialized communities in the handcrafts they work on:
- They support small producers from specific communities and cooperatives.
- They incorporate the artisans into their creative process to co-create concepts that bring our ancient traditions to life. This helps the artisans to regain confidence in the work they do.
- They ensure artisans receive a fair payment for their work according to local wages.
- For textile communities, most of the artisans are women, and they are ensured equal treatment. And because if the flexibility of their handwork they can also work from home. Most of these artisans gather together to create co-operatives to work together and share experiences.
- A typical artisan working space: at home, in their cooperative, or at the "taller" (workshop) space they start the day taking care of their kids and family, then they find a comfortable space to start working on the textiles. The spaces are usually open which allows feeling the freeze and the natural sound of the animals that surround the environment.